Cognitive training is a promising preventive option and an effective complement to drug therapies. The underlying concept includes training of cognitive performance by cognitive stimulation using appropriate tasks in order to stimulate alternative communication paths in the brain and thereby improve and maintain the performance of those affected in the longer term.
In own studies with different patient groups, significant performance improvements were shown after targeted working memory training. In this respect, cognitive training is to be understood as a method with the central goal of promoting changes in mental performance, in psychosocial aspects (e.g. motivation, fatigue) and in specific neuronal circuits. In order to answer the question whether a therapy for cognitive disorders might be helpful and which aspects should be targeted, it is strongly recommended to perform a neuropsychological diagnostical assessment before starting the training.
Our cognitive training services include the following:
- cognitive training sessions in our center with an experienced psychologist
- a treatment plan which is individually prepared and based on the results of neuropsychological diagnostics
- exercises to improve impaired cognitive abilities or to maintain existing functions
- conveying everyday strategies for compensating cognitive impairments
- support in coping with the illness